Warning: I am going to rant for a second…
I’m not talking about the actual concept behind You Only Live Once. The original concept is a wonderful one. Living in the moment, mindfulness, enjoying life each and every day are wonderful things you SHOULD do to live a happy and healthy life. If you live in this matter, I am not talking about you. I try to live this way every day.
It does NOT mean drinking until you pass out or sleeping with some random guy at a party. YOLO does not mean acting like an idiot and being rude to other people. It does not mean continuously eating junk because you only live once. It does not mean acting in a vulgar or stupid way and using YOLO as an excuse. I am so tired of people my age using YOLO as an excuse. So tired of it!
Source: The Meta Picture
It’s been 19 days already!!! I can’t believe it! Time is flying by but thankfully I am doing great with my workouts and eating healthy. Today was a killer workout. I upgraded to the 5lb weights and it DEFINITELY makes a difference. Wow! My arms feel like jelly again like they did the first few days. I love it! That means it’s just what I needed to keep gaining muscles.
Day 19 consisted of the Warm-up, the Chest, Legs, and Buns workout, the Back and Shoulders workout, and the Sports Stretch and Flexibility workout. I didn’t realize I chose a double strength training day to increase my weights to 5lbs but I did it anyway. Believe me when I say my arms are going to be killing me tomorrow. Haha! I think its great though. I don’t know if it was the heat or the increase in weights but I was sweating so much the sweat was running into my eyes. I know it was both but I don’t know which caused more sweat. So not only am I getting muscles and losing fat while I workout, I am also detoxing from sweat. Woohoo!
All that sweating and working out made me hungry so I ate some of the strawberries my father-in-law brought over yesterday. He grows the best strawberries I’ve ever eaten. Year after year, they grow so sweet and juicy. I just love them. Great post workout snack!
The best strawberries I’ve ever eaten thanks to my awesome father-in-law!
I was really expecting to be sore from my double workout the day before but I wasn’t. It made me realize I need to increase my weights. I’m going to bump up my hand weights from 3lbs to 5lbs for all of my workouts. I have stopped feeling sore after my workouts. So hopefully my workouts will show more improvement with the added weight. Hubby and I took Peanut for a 2.29 mile walk as well. We went later in the day so it wasn’t so hot out.
Today was a pretty easy day. Day 18 consisted of the Warm-up, Ripped Abs & Arms workout, Fat Burning Cardio, and Yoga. I used the 5lbs weights for the Abs & Arms workout. I actually managed to do a third of the Fat Burning Cardio before I switched to Zumba for the rest of my cardio. Hubby and I plan on taking Peanut for a walk later today as well.
Sorry it took so long to write this post. Between the holiday and Peanut’s health issues, I didn’t have as much time as I wanted to write this.
Eating a healthy balanced diet is good for your body, good for your heart and good for your sex life. Food is the fuel for your body. If you eat crappy food that clogs your system, you are most likely not going to have great sex. If, on the other hand, you eat food that helps your body function better, you are more likely to have a better sex life. The key to a healthy lifestyle is eating a well-rounded diet including lean protein, fruits, dark leafy greens and other veggies, beans, and other delicious healthy foods. There are also studies showing certain foods are more likely to increase your libido than others.
If you are wandering what foods would make you’re sex life steamier, you are in for treat because I’m about to tell you. After reading articles like Christina Pirello’s article The Top 10 Foods for Great Sex and Men’s Health magazine’s article How to Eat For Better Sex, I have compiled a list of foods to help rev up your sex life. Here they are:
- Oysters and Shellfish
- While they are considered an aphrodisiac, the real reason oysters are so great for your health is the high levels of zinc. They are higher in zinc than most other foods. Zinc is wonderful for sexual performance since it improve testosterone levels, great for blood circulation, and its crucial for healthy sperm production. If you are like me and can’t stand the idea of slurping down oysters, other foods high in zinc are shrimp, spinach, basil, eggs, red meat, thyme, sea vegetables, red meat, poultry, and sesame, pumpkin and chia seeds.
- Strawberries and Other Berries
- Strawberries are high in vitamin C, and B vitamin folate. Vitamin C is a natural libido enhancer and folate is helps prevent birth defects. Blackberries and blueberries are just as delicious and good for your sex life. They contain compounds that improve circulation and relax blood vessels. As we learned in the previous post, the better the circulation, the better the sex.
- Dark chocolate
- We can’t talk about strawberries without talking about dark chocolate now, can we? When I think of sexy foods, chocolate covered strawberries come to my mind and with good reason too. The phenylalanine in chocolate releases endorphins and dopamine, the one that surges during orgasm. Chocolate also contains magnesium which soothes our nerves and makes us more receptive for each other. *wink wink*
- Oatmeal and Whole Grains
- Whole grains (especially oatmeal) increase testosterone and are high in zinc (read above why that is great for the mojo). Oats in particular contain an amino acid called L-arginine. L-arginine works with nitric oxide to help relax blood vessels which helps men with erectile dysfunction. Other foods containing L-arginine include nuts, ginseng, dairy, seeds, and green veggies. Another awesome bonus of eating whole grains is complex carbohydrates gives us consistent energy allowing us to have more stamina for physical…. exercise.
- Onions, Garlic, and Ginger
- Alliums (chives, leeks, scallions, and onions) are sure to get your juices flowing and give you the stamina to use those juices. They cause intense feelings of arousal and contain chemical compounds that stimulate blood flow to your sexual organs. This ensures some hot, strong, enduring sex. Who can argue with that? As a person who eats lots of onions and garlic, I can assure you they are very beneficial.
- Dark leafy vegetables
- Dark leafy vegetables like spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, kale, swiss chard, and bok choy are great for your overall health. We have all heard the benefits of eating these leafy veggies. They are also great for sexual health. These leafy veggies are packed with folate and magnesium. Magnesium dilates those blood vessels and creates the essential blood flow to your genitals.
- Many many others
- Many other foods are great for your sex life including red meat, chia seeds, peaches, fruits, chili peppers, seeds, nuts, tomatoes, eggs, fatty fish, artichokes, beans, and so much more. If you would like to read more about the sexual benefits these foods, visit the links below.
Now you have even more reasons to eat healthy, as if you didn’t have enough reasons to start with. I’m just trying to give you the motivation to get you eating those leafy greens and other healthy foods. I know I’ll be adding more of these delicious foods into my diet. 🙂
Sexual Benefits of a Healthy Lifestyle Series
I swear every time Peanut gets into a good routine with her eating habits and I think she will start gaining weight more rapidly, she sabotages herself. Then I am left scrambling to figure out what to do next and how to make sure she’s getting enough calories and nutrition to be healthy. It is very frustrating and leaves me feeling helpless. She was doing so well up until this past Friday. She was nursing frequently, eating her three meals of solids and was even hungry enough to have the occasional extra snack of solids. Her eating habits always seem to fluctuate but they usually aren’t too bad. She loves to eat and eats a lot.
Apparently hearing the words milk and peanut allergy made Peanut believe she can no longer nurse because she has been fighting me about nursing ever since Friday (which is the day we found out). Peanut has always LOVED nursing. Whatever issues she has had in the past with food and eating habits (like refusing to drink from a bottle or refusing to eat certain foods), she has always loved drinking her breastmilk and greedily drinks as much as she can… until this past weekend. It started out as continuing to be hungry after she drained both breasts. She’d drink all she could and would still be hungry. I would give her solids after she was done to make sure she was getting enough to eat. You can’t overfeed Peanut. She just doesn’t let it happen. She screams if she’s hungry. She clamps her mouth shut when she’s full. It’s that easy to tell when she’s done.
As the weekend progressed, she began to refuse to finish breastfeeding at first. Then she was refusing to breastfed at all every other time I tried to nurse her. Today she has refused to nurse altogether. I have tried repeatedly and I have been very persistent but it just hasn’t been working. I only managed to get her to nurse ONCE all day. Its so frustrating when she needs the calories to gain weight and she’s having weight gain issues.
I was hoping to ask my doctor at her appointment today but I didn’t realize her appointment was just a nurse weigh in and I wouldn’t be seeing her pediatrician today. As for the good news, Peanut has started gaining weight again!!!! Woohoo! She only gained 4 ounces but its better than not gaining weight and MUCH better than losing weight. She is now 7 months old and weighs 12 pounds 4 ounces. Progress is progress regardless of how small 🙂
After the nurse weighed Peanut and gave her her shots (and Peanut told off the nurse in facial expressions, screaming and grunts), she asked if I had any questions. LOL! Where to begin?!?! I saved most of my less dire questions for when I see the doctor next time but I asked the most important questions today.
- Is she allergic to just peanuts or tree nuts as well?
- What can I do to help her continue to nurse?
- What can I give her to supplement with since she isn’t breastfeeding? (she’s allergic to milk and vomits when she’s given soy, which makes supplementing hard)
The nurse said she would ask the doctor and call me with the answers. I should hopefully hear from them tomorrow. For now, I have been trying to breastfed her. When it doesn’t work, I pump and add the milk to her cereal to make sure she’s getting the nutrients and calories. I’m just taking this one day at a time and doing my best for my baby girl. I’ll keep you guys updated as I learn more.
I messed up with my workout. I didn’t do my Day 15 workout yesterday. I spent most of the day with my in-laws and I worked in the evening. I planned to workout after work but Peanut wasn’t asleep when I got home. She was cranky and hungry. It took me an hour to put her to sleep. By then, I was exhausted and ready for bed.
Since I didn’t workout yesterday, I decided I needed to double up on my workouts today to make up for it. It was my fault I didn’t workout so I had to deal with the consequences. I combined Days 15 and 16 into one workout. My combined days 15/16 included the Warm-up, the Chest, Legs & Buns workout, the Back & Shoulders workout, MMA Cardio Phase 1, Zumba, and the Sports Stretch & Flexibility cool-down. Talk about a long workout! I am very lucky Peanut took a long nap and I was able to do all of the workouts without interruption. The warm-up was easy as usual. The Chest, Legs & Buns workout is my least favorite of all the strength workouts but it makes me work the hardest. I was sweating like crazy by the end of it. The rest of the workouts were much easier. I was panting by the time I finished the Zumba workout.
It was a tough workout but I was able to finish it. It was definitely incentive to do my workouts according to schedule and not miss a day! I don’t want to do another double day! LOL!