Every week I plan on posting an update about my progress towards better health. I will post goals I want to accomplish in the upcoming week, if I accomplished the goals I set the previous week, current weight, if I lose or gain weight (hopefully only lose weight), and a brief summary of my activities.
Goals from previous week
Do the BeFit in 90 workout each day as instructed yes!
Add more cardio throughout the week yes!
Drink lots of water (even more since its hot) yes!
Eat more healthy meals, especially at lunch time yes!
Try more ways to eat healthy that doesn’t irritate my stomach yes!
Eat more soluble fiber and protein yes!
Try food journaling- I didn’t do it today because I thought of it too late but I will start tomorrow. yes/no
Goals for the upcoming week
Do the BeFit in 90 workout each day as instructed
Add more cardio throughout the week
Drink lots of water (even more since its hot)
Eat more healthy meals, especially at lunch time
Try more ways to eat healthy that doesn’t irritate my stomach
Eat more soluble fiber and protein
Start Weight: 270 pounds
Current Weight: 249.8 pounds
Lose/Gain: Lost 1.7 pounds
Total Weight Loss: 20.2 pounds
I had a pretty great week. I have been researching and implementing some of what I have learned. It has really been helping. I’ve been eating oatmeal for breakfast almost every morning and adding rice to most meals. I have felt so much better.
The BeFit in 90 has been great as well. I have been doing a Fat Blast workout instead of the Cardio Booster and it has really been kicking my butt. It’s awesome!
I am pretty terrible at food journaling. I try pretty hard but I always seem to forget a meal or something. I try but it just doesn’t seem to work.
If you read my post from last week about having a bad dietary week, you will know I have been very frustrated with eating healthy. The more I had tried to eat healthy foods that were “good for me” the more upset my stomach became. I have been doing research, followed suggestions left in the comments and reading a lot of information from the website helpforibs.com. This combined effort has helped me tremendously and I have learn a lot.
The first extremely helpful piece of information I learned is the difference between insoluble fiber and soluble fiber. I had believed I was fiber intolerant or something because the more fiber I was eating the worse my symptoms became. What I didn’t realize was I was eating too much of the wrong type of fiber. The dark leafy greens I was eating are high in insoluble fiber and it was irritating my stomach… A LOT! I read on the helpforibs.com website that many IBS sufferers cannot eat large amounts of insoluble fiber or like me eat very very little. Insoluble fiber is in numerous healthy foods and was a large cause of my stomach woes. But what am I to do? I want to eat healthy. I NEED to be healthy. How can I eat healthy without eating healthy foods?
It’s all about HOW I eat those healthy foods and the quantities I eat. I learned soluble fiber is my new best friend. Soluble fiber becomes gel-like in the stomach and intestines. This makes the stomach feel fuller, slows down digestion (which I really need) and is great for colon health. I have been eating more soluble fiber and I eat it first. I have cut down fatty foods (wasn’t eating that much to begin with) and fatty meats. I am eating more rice, oatmeal, bananas and protein. I have been eating these four foods and they have made such a difference. I am pleasantly surprised! I feel so much less bloated, barely any stomach aches and I haven’t been spending most of the week in the bathroom. I even had broccoli with the rice and chicken (I made chicken stir fry) and it didn’t upset my stomach. I just made sure to eat the rice first and the broccoli last.
I will continue to post about the different foods and methods I try as I get a grip on my IBS 😀
I am so happy and excited. I can live with this way of eating.
Soluble Fiber ~ The Irritable Bowel Syndrome Good Foods
All about Fiber
Ah insomnia. Peanut has had a crazy sleep schedule lately. She will sleep through the night for 3-4 days. Then she will become a night owl staying up all night for 3-4 days. It’s been a continuing cycle. I try to get her off of the late nights but she keeps reverting back to it. This has been really messing up my sleep schedule. When I do finally get her to fall asleep, I am left wide awake. I laid in bed for 45 minutes trying to sleep to no avail. I finally got up when I had to pee and didn’t see the point in going back to bed.
What I hate most about being wide awake at night is the free time I have to think. I’m an overthinker. I think and think and think. One thought leads to another to another and its a hard cycle to break. I am currently worried about finances but I’m not even bothering getting into that. Worrying about our finances makes me wish so badly that I was still licensed for massage therapy. I even spent time looking on craigslist for job openings. I don’t know why I bothered because it makes me even sadder. I loved doing massage therapy. It was a passion of mine. Unfortunately, I can’t afford to renew my license. Especially without a massage therapy job waiting for me. Not to mention I haven’t given a real massage in almost a year.
Part of me wants to get into shape, lose weight, live a healthy lifestyle and then help others do the same. I’m not sure how I would do that. Either becoming a fitness instructor or something. It has been a possible thought in the back of my mind but it is too far away for me to even think about it. I also fear of the same thing happening to that “dream” as what happened to my massage therapy dream. I don’t even know if it is even a dream at this point. More of wishful thinking. I haven’t even talked to anyone about this. Not even Hubby.
I want to do something inspiring. I want to help other people and motivate them to better themselves. I want a job where I can do what I love but also have plenty of time to spend with Peanut. Part of me feels like I am meant to do great things but I don’t know what those things are. I have always felt a drive to do…. something. I just haven’t been able to figure out exactly what that is or how to implement it correctly into my life. I am hoping I will learn what it is as I continue on my path to a healthy lifestyle and as I continue this journey to becoming a better me. I have so much passion and enthusiasm. Hopefully, I will find a way to put it to good use. Until then I will use it to better myself, be a wonderful mother and wife, and use it to write this blog.
I told you this overthinking gets me in trouble. I’ll stop while I’m ahead. LOL! Thanks for reading to my weird late night ramble post. haha! Hopefully, I will feel more positive in the morning 🙂
I passed the halfway point!!! Woohoo!
My hamstrings are super sore today from my workout yesterday. The Sports Stretch felt great at the end of my workout. Day 46 consisted of the Warm-up 2, the Back and Shoulders workout, the Cardio MMA Phase 2 and the Sports Stretch. The Back and Shoulders workout felt nice. It is still a challenging workout with the 3lbs weights. My arms feel like lead afterwards. The Cardio MMA felt refreshing. It is definitely not as intense as the Fat Blast I did yesterday. That was a killer. I loved it though. As I said the Sports Stretch felt amazing today. It felt so nice to stretch out. It really stretched my hamstrings and glutes. Boy, did I need it too! It was a great workout! Woohoo!
This has taken me forever but I am finally making this post. I was nominated for my first Liebster award by Letters to Chace & Harper. I was very honored and happy to be nominated. That same week I was nominated by Meagan at The 80/20 Mom. I was overwhelmed with happiness at being nominated twice in one week. Since I had just made the post about my first Liebster award, I wasn’t too keen on doing another. I was very happy and thanked her for the nomination. As if both of these nominations weren’t awesome enough, I was also nominated by Julie at WorkingUpTheCurve. I was overjoyed. It took me forever to make this post but it doesn’t lessen the honor I feel at being nominated.
I’ll combine my answers from both nominations into this blog and link to my first Liebster award post for my nominees and questions.
Okay so here are the rules for the Liebster award…
- post 11 random facts about myself
- answer the 11 questions posed by my nominator
- nominate other blogs
- ask them 11 questions
11 Random Facts about myself for Meagan’s Nomination
- I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read. I’ll read anything and everything. Science fiction, fantasy, romantic novels, nutrition/fitness, textbooks, research articles, just everything
- I love to learn. I am always researching and learning something new. Although I read a lot, I don’t believe everything I read. I usually read a ton and make my own opinion of what I’ve read. This is definitely true about raising babies and all the confusing/conflicting information there is about it.
- I’ve moved A LOT in my lifetime. A LOT. I have honestly lost count I’ve moved so many times but it’s well over 30 moves (I’m only 24).
- Both of my parents have had cancer. My father died of lung cancer and my mother almost died of colon cancer. This is one of the reasons being healthy is so important to me.
- Hubby and I met in high school during senior year(even went to prom together). We were each other’s first loves and are still madly in love with each other.
- I lived in Florida for a couple years. I love it there.
- I went to college for massage therapy and got my associates degree. I moved to Pennsylvania (where I now live) and got pregnant a few months after graduation. My license has expired while I have been living life. I would still love to do massage therapy but currently can’t afford to renew my license.
- I love essential oils and use them a lot. My favorites are lavender and peppermint. I also love lemon and orange essential oils for cleaning.
- I love cooking and baking from scratch. It is calming for me and I just love it. I just hate doing all the dishes!
- I have many great friends but don’t really get to talk to them often. This makes me sad.
- I have always loved animals and nature. I want to instill a love of animals and nature in Peanut as well.
11 Random Facts about myself for Julie’s Nomination
- Peanut was a surprise. We weren’t preventing but we weren’t trying either. I would never ever call her a mistake though. When I think of the word mistake, it makes me think of something you wish didn’t happen or regret. She never has been or ever will be a mistake. She was a pleasant surprise 😀
- I love watching cartoons and kids movies. Despicable Me, Shrek, Ice Age, Monster Inc. and Hercules are some of the kid movies I love to watch.
- I was raised to believe dinosaurs don’t exist (as in they are make-believe). I don’t believe this anymore. haha!
- I didn’t watch Star Wars until after I met Hubby.
- I have book smarts. I graduated from college with a 97-98% grade point average (I can’t remember the exact number but it was in-between those LOL).
- In school, I gave a massage to a Boston Red Sox player. They were in Fort Myers, FL for spring training and came to my school for massages. I have a baseball signed by the whole team 😀
- I fart often when I workout. Thank goodness I’m not at the gym or in a class. haha!
- I like watching nature documentaries.
- I can’t hold my breath underwater without holding my nose. Don’t know why.
- I listen to all sorts of music and am open to listening to anything.
- I love a lot of things. haha!
11 Questions by Meagan
- Your favourite time waster:
- Book(s) you loved as a child:
- I read A LOT as a child some of my favorites include the Dragonlance novels(more of a high school favorite), Billy Goats Gruff (all time favorite as a little kid), Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Rainbow Fish and There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
- Trait that you love most about yourself:
- My smile and happy personality. I am very happy-go-lucky positive person. I have been told I radiate happiness. I have also been told I brighten a room when I walk in (I assume from my smile LOL). I have always been outgoing and friendly.
- Trait that you would most like to change:
- I have an annoying habit of interrupting people when they talk. I’ve been working on it for a couple years but have a long way to go. I also like to eat late at night which I need to change.
- Facebook or Twitter:
- Bygone era that you’d like to experience:
- That is so hard to answer. I love history and there are so many eras I’d love to visit including
- American Revolution. I always found this time to be amazing and it was my favorite time in American history. Plus there were many awesome people during this time I’d love to meet
- Ancient Egypt. I have found this time intriguing and would love to learn more about the people and culture in this era. I would love to ask questions about their beliefs and why they chose to build the monuments they did.
- Ancient Aztecs. Another fascinating time in history I’d love to learn more about. Although being a woman in this era might make it less fun than if I were a man. LOL
- Another country that you’d like to live in:
- Australia or England. I love both of these countries and would at least love to visit them 😀
- Messiest room in your house:
- My bedroom. Company doesn’t go in our room so it’s the last place I usually clean which makes it the messiest.
- Favourite physical activity:
- Kickboxing. I just love everything about it.
- Your last meal would be:
- Wow… what a hard question… I’ve never thought about it…
- What makes you unique?:
- Ha! Where to start?!?!? I say whatever I’m thinking most of the time (including perverted comments). I only filter what I say at work or in front of religious people.
I figured this would also be a great way for you guys to get to know me better. There’s plenty of random information in this post. haha!
Double cardio day! Day 44 consists the Warm-up 2, the Cardio Booster (I did a double Zumba session), Cardio MMA Phase 2, and yoga. I had fun doing the Zumba. I did the Zumba Toning workout with the toning sticks. I would definitely use 3lb weights next time because the toning sticks were super easy. It was an easy workout overall.
Today was a all new layout for my workout. I was surprised but delighted. Day 45 consisted of the Warm-up 2, the Butt, Legs and Chest workout, the Cardio Booster (I’ll explain it later), and the Cardio MMA Phase 2. Double cardio AND a strength training. Woohoo! I used 5lb weights during the Butt, Legs and Chest workout. It felt much better than the 3lb weights. While I was taking a drink after the strength workout, I heard Peanut awake and crying from her nap. I went up and brought her downstairs. She was so hot she couldn’t sleep. It was cooler downstairs than upstairs (heat rises) so she felt much better downstairs. Unfortunately, I wasn’t done my workout. I laid Peanut down with her toys and continued my workout. She had fun watching me workout. She just loves it!
I did the Cardio MMA Phase 2 workout. It was fine. It got me sweating but that was nothing! After the MMA, I did the Fat Blast workout on the Prevention Kick Start Your Metabolism DVD. It’s a kickboxing workout DVD. I was sweating like crazy by the end. It is so much more intense than the Cardio MMA workout. The hardest part of the workout was doing it while keeping an eye on Peanut. She kept rolling around and I had to make sure she wasn’t under foot. I tried laying her on the other side of the living room so I wouldn’t have to worry about stepping on her but she got mad because she couldn’t see me. haha! Don’t worry! I didn’t let her get close to me so I didn’t step on my cutie pie. 😀
I was really proud I could finish the Fat Blast workout. A few months ago I couldn’t even complete the 15 minute workout. I was gasping and couldn’t go on. Now, just a few months later, I am able to complete it after most of my BeFit in 90 workout. I’m so proud. This is what this journey is all about. I am just trying to better myself a little bit every day.
Today was a very challenging workout but I loved it! Hope everyone had an awesome day!
This was my workout lifesaver! Way too hot today but I did my workout anyway 😀
Intense workout plus hot house equals sweaty mama! haha!
Sorry it took me so long to post these. This weekend was busy. I celebrated 5 years of dating my husband by going to the movies to see Man of Steel, got new glasses, cleaned, spent most of yesterday with family, ran errands, and I’m trying to learn more about soluble fiber. I’ll try to post more 🙂
I did my workout before getting ready for our date night. It was the first date night we had without anyone else. Just Hubby and I. It was really nice but I was very excited to see my Peanut after the movie. Anyways, day 41 consisted of the Warm-up 2, Ripped Abs and Arms, Cardio MMA Phase 2 and yoga. The Ripped Abs and Arms workout is still on the easier side but the abs workouts are much better this time than last month. The V sits are killer. My whole body shakes as I sit there awkwardly and pulse my arms. It’s so hard to do it the whole time… and I love it! My biggest issue with the last ab workout was the lack of a workout. My abs weren’t even sore before but they are now. I’m very glad because I want to work my abs hard. I had very strong abs before my pregnancy and I want strong abs again. I’ll get there. It just takes time. The Cardio MMA made me sweat and it was a nice workout. I am starting to like the yoga video more. I know it will take time and I have the time to give.
Double strength training day! I spent most of the day at my in-laws house so I didn’t get to do my workout until after Peanut’s bedtime. At least it made me me tired for bedtime. Day 42 consisted of the Warm-up 2, the Back and Shoulders workout, the Ripped Abs and Arms workout and the Sports Stretch. My arms really felt this workout. I have a hard enough time completing the Back and Shoulders by itself so it was a good challenge to complete both. Plus my abs were still a bit sore from the Ripped Abs and Arms workout yesterday. All in all it was a great workout 🙂
Rest day!!!! Today was a busy day filled with errands, a tired baby, lots of heat, board games and yummy chicken stir-fry. It was a wonderful day. I feel so blessed 🙂