If you’ve been reading my recent posts, you will notice I have started the 30 day Squat Challenge. I will be doing squats for the next 30 days with the number of squats per day increasing as the days go by. Since I am doing this challenge, I decided to look up some of the benefits of squats. If I’m going to be torturing myself with doing squats I can at least rest assured knowing I’m doing them for a good reason. I have found some awesome articles like 8 Reasons to Do Squat Exercises and The 15 Benefits of Squats. I will share with you some of the things I’ve learned. Maybe you will start doing some squats as well.
- Whole Body workout
- While it is pretty obvious squats work your leg muscles (calves, hamstrings, and quadriceps), they work so many other muscles. Squats indirectly work muscles other than your legs such as your core and back muscles. It promotes overall muscle growth and releases testosterone and human growth hormone.
- Sexy Booty
- If this was the only benefit, I’d still be doing this challenge. Haha! On a serious note, squats work your glutes by lifting, tightening and toning your badonkadonk.
- Burns more fat
- By gaining more muscle from squatting, you burn more calories. According to this article, For every pound of additional muscle you gain, your body will burn an additional 50-70 calories per day. So, if you gain 10 pounds of muscle, you will automatically burn 500-700 more calories per day than you did before. I found this to be awesome! I am so glad I’m gaining muscle to help me lose more fat.
- Improves Balance
- Squats work your core as well as your legs, which help you maintain your balance. Squats also improve muscle memory and improve the communication between your muscles and your brain. This amazing phenomenon helps prevent falls.
- Improve Everyday Life
- Squats are a functional exercise. This means that you do them in real life like when you pick up heavy objects or bend down to pick something up. Since squats build muscle, help mobility and improve balance, they help you perform every day tasks better and easier than you would if you didn’t do squats.
These are just 5 awesome benefits of doing squats. You can read the related articles below for more reasons to add squats to your workout. Always remember to use the correct form when performing squats. Visit a fitness website to learn how to perform squats correctly. Always be safe! What is your favorite benefits of squats? Do you add squats into your routine?
I need this shirt LOL