This is a quick update. Sorry I’ve been MIA for the last week and a half. Life has been crazy. Full of ups and downs. I’ve had a lot of good news as well as some pretty bad news. I got hired for a second job. I’m pretty excited. The job offers flexible hours and I can choose how much I want to work each week. Plus I’ll be making $1.50-$3.50 more than I do at the job I’m working now. Woohoo! It pretty exciting stuff in my opinion. 😀
I started doing the last 30 days of BeFit in 90. I tried Day 61, got through the warm-up and first plyo video and spent the next 10 minutes gasping for air on the floor. I can’t believe how drastically the change in intensity was. I felt like I hadn’t worked out at all in the past two months. It was pretty embarrassing. I felt so depressed by not being able to complete it, I moped around for a few days. Not working out. Not doing anything other than spending time with my daughter and playing video games with my husband. After that, I decided to stop moping and get my butt back into gear. I am still unable to finish the workouts but I am trying my best and I am super sore afterwards. I’m trying to get my motivation back to where is was.
Last week, my husband’s aunt was taken to the hospital. We found out the following day she had a tumor in her brain causing brain swelling. They had emergency surgery to remove some of it. She’s been doing good. Yesterday, they had another surgery to remove the rest of it. I also found out this morning from my mother-in-law that she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She has been amazing this past week, talking, joking around with family, and overall doing much better than the doctors could have hoped. Our family is just praying for her to have a quick recovery and we are supporting one another.
I’ll try to start posting more often. Sorry for being absent lately but I have a lot going on right now.
I am sorry I didn’t post all week. I have missed reading the comments, encouragements and other blogs.
I must admit this wasn’t the best vacation I’ve ever had but I made the most of it. Hubby and I had a stay-cation this week. We couldn’t really afford to go anywhere due to fiances but we both had off work and could spend the week together as a family with our Peanut. We did have a day trip to Little Buffalo State Park and went took Peanut to the petting zoo. Other than that, we stayed home.
I wanted to do more, including taking Peanut to an actual zoo but I came down with a terrible cold. It started last Saturday at the water park and I am still feeling the effects. I don’t get sick very often. I actually haven’t had a cold since Peanut has been born but when I do, I am sick longer than most people are. I had planned on taking a day or two off my workouts since I was on vacation. Although when I became sick, I have only worked out once this week. I have been going stir crazy. I could barely breathe sitting down not doing anything, let alone working out. I did try to do Day 55 (I didn’t post about doing Day 53 or 54) and I did finish it but barely. Doing the workout resulted in a painful migraine, even more persistent runny nose and I was wheezing. I felt ten times worse afterwards than I did beforehand. I know I shouldn’t have done the workout but I didn’t want to get too far behind.
After that disaster, I decided it would be best to wait until I could at least breathe out of my nose to start working out again. I am hoping I can start up with my workouts again tomorrow. I am really looking forward to getting back in the game and feeling the exhilaration after a good workout. I have eaten pretty well this week. I’ve mainly been eating oatmeal and soup due to my cold. I love homemade soup without needing a reason to eat it. It tastes better when I have a cold. I have had a few sweet treats this week as well but I made sure I didn’t overdo it.
I’ll be catching up on my posts this next week including posts about how I painted my nails for July 4th, our trip to Little Buffalo State Park and taking Peanut to the petting zoo (which she LOVED). I might be doing my weekly update tomorrow instead of Sunday but I haven’t decided. It won’t be too involved since I didn’t do my weekly update last week. I hope everyone had a wonderful week!
Here is a picture of a messy Peanut just in case you guys missed seeing her 🙂
Family Picture! This was from the petting zoo
Just to let you guys know, I didn’t drop off the face of the earth. I am on vacation. Now that I think about it, I should have mentioned this last week but I’m forgetful like that. I am still eating healthy and doing alright with my workouts (took two days off. It is vacation, right?). I’ll be back to blogging soon and let you guys know what’s been up. I had a great fourth of July and hope everyone else did too. I’ll try to write some posts this week but I might not. Hope everyone has a great week!!!! 😀
PS. I realize I didn’t do my weekly update. Oops! I didn’t lose or gain any weight last week 🙂
If you read my post from last week about having a bad dietary week, you will know I have been very frustrated with eating healthy. The more I had tried to eat healthy foods that were “good for me” the more upset my stomach became. I have been doing research, followed suggestions left in the comments and reading a lot of information from the website helpforibs.com. This combined effort has helped me tremendously and I have learn a lot.
The first extremely helpful piece of information I learned is the difference between insoluble fiber and soluble fiber. I had believed I was fiber intolerant or something because the more fiber I was eating the worse my symptoms became. What I didn’t realize was I was eating too much of the wrong type of fiber. The dark leafy greens I was eating are high in insoluble fiber and it was irritating my stomach… A LOT! I read on the helpforibs.com website that many IBS sufferers cannot eat large amounts of insoluble fiber or like me eat very very little. Insoluble fiber is in numerous healthy foods and was a large cause of my stomach woes. But what am I to do? I want to eat healthy. I NEED to be healthy. How can I eat healthy without eating healthy foods?
It’s all about HOW I eat those healthy foods and the quantities I eat. I learned soluble fiber is my new best friend. Soluble fiber becomes gel-like in the stomach and intestines. This makes the stomach feel fuller, slows down digestion (which I really need) and is great for colon health. I have been eating more soluble fiber and I eat it first. I have cut down fatty foods (wasn’t eating that much to begin with) and fatty meats. I am eating more rice, oatmeal, bananas and protein. I have been eating these four foods and they have made such a difference. I am pleasantly surprised! I feel so much less bloated, barely any stomach aches and I haven’t been spending most of the week in the bathroom. I even had broccoli with the rice and chicken (I made chicken stir fry) and it didn’t upset my stomach. I just made sure to eat the rice first and the broccoli last.
I will continue to post about the different foods and methods I try as I get a grip on my IBS 😀
I am so happy and excited. I can live with this way of eating.
Soluble Fiber ~ The Irritable Bowel Syndrome Good Foods
All about Fiber
This has taken me forever but I am finally making this post. I was nominated for my first Liebster award by Letters to Chace & Harper. I was very honored and happy to be nominated. That same week I was nominated by Meagan at The 80/20 Mom. I was overwhelmed with happiness at being nominated twice in one week. Since I had just made the post about my first Liebster award, I wasn’t too keen on doing another. I was very happy and thanked her for the nomination. As if both of these nominations weren’t awesome enough, I was also nominated by Julie at WorkingUpTheCurve. I was overjoyed. It took me forever to make this post but it doesn’t lessen the honor I feel at being nominated.
I’ll combine my answers from both nominations into this blog and link to my first Liebster award post for my nominees and questions.
Okay so here are the rules for the Liebster award…
- post 11 random facts about myself
- answer the 11 questions posed by my nominator
- nominate other blogs
- ask them 11 questions
11 Random Facts about myself for Meagan’s Nomination
- I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read. I’ll read anything and everything. Science fiction, fantasy, romantic novels, nutrition/fitness, textbooks, research articles, just everything
- I love to learn. I am always researching and learning something new. Although I read a lot, I don’t believe everything I read. I usually read a ton and make my own opinion of what I’ve read. This is definitely true about raising babies and all the confusing/conflicting information there is about it.
- I’ve moved A LOT in my lifetime. A LOT. I have honestly lost count I’ve moved so many times but it’s well over 30 moves (I’m only 24).
- Both of my parents have had cancer. My father died of lung cancer and my mother almost died of colon cancer. This is one of the reasons being healthy is so important to me.
- Hubby and I met in high school during senior year(even went to prom together). We were each other’s first loves and are still madly in love with each other.
- I lived in Florida for a couple years. I love it there.
- I went to college for massage therapy and got my associates degree. I moved to Pennsylvania (where I now live) and got pregnant a few months after graduation. My license has expired while I have been living life. I would still love to do massage therapy but currently can’t afford to renew my license.
- I love essential oils and use them a lot. My favorites are lavender and peppermint. I also love lemon and orange essential oils for cleaning.
- I love cooking and baking from scratch. It is calming for me and I just love it. I just hate doing all the dishes!
- I have many great friends but don’t really get to talk to them often. This makes me sad.
- I have always loved animals and nature. I want to instill a love of animals and nature in Peanut as well.
11 Random Facts about myself for Julie’s Nomination
- Peanut was a surprise. We weren’t preventing but we weren’t trying either. I would never ever call her a mistake though. When I think of the word mistake, it makes me think of something you wish didn’t happen or regret. She never has been or ever will be a mistake. She was a pleasant surprise 😀
- I love watching cartoons and kids movies. Despicable Me, Shrek, Ice Age, Monster Inc. and Hercules are some of the kid movies I love to watch.
- I was raised to believe dinosaurs don’t exist (as in they are make-believe). I don’t believe this anymore. haha!
- I didn’t watch Star Wars until after I met Hubby.
- I have book smarts. I graduated from college with a 97-98% grade point average (I can’t remember the exact number but it was in-between those LOL).
- In school, I gave a massage to a Boston Red Sox player. They were in Fort Myers, FL for spring training and came to my school for massages. I have a baseball signed by the whole team 😀
- I fart often when I workout. Thank goodness I’m not at the gym or in a class. haha!
- I like watching nature documentaries.
- I can’t hold my breath underwater without holding my nose. Don’t know why.
- I listen to all sorts of music and am open to listening to anything.
- I love a lot of things. haha!
11 Questions by Meagan
- Your favourite time waster:
- Book(s) you loved as a child:
- I read A LOT as a child some of my favorites include the Dragonlance novels(more of a high school favorite), Billy Goats Gruff (all time favorite as a little kid), Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Rainbow Fish and There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
- Trait that you love most about yourself:
- My smile and happy personality. I am very happy-go-lucky positive person. I have been told I radiate happiness. I have also been told I brighten a room when I walk in (I assume from my smile LOL). I have always been outgoing and friendly.
- Trait that you would most like to change:
- I have an annoying habit of interrupting people when they talk. I’ve been working on it for a couple years but have a long way to go. I also like to eat late at night which I need to change.
- Facebook or Twitter:
- Bygone era that you’d like to experience:
- That is so hard to answer. I love history and there are so many eras I’d love to visit including
- American Revolution. I always found this time to be amazing and it was my favorite time in American history. Plus there were many awesome people during this time I’d love to meet
- Ancient Egypt. I have found this time intriguing and would love to learn more about the people and culture in this era. I would love to ask questions about their beliefs and why they chose to build the monuments they did.
- Ancient Aztecs. Another fascinating time in history I’d love to learn more about. Although being a woman in this era might make it less fun than if I were a man. LOL
- Another country that you’d like to live in:
- Australia or England. I love both of these countries and would at least love to visit them 😀
- Messiest room in your house:
- My bedroom. Company doesn’t go in our room so it’s the last place I usually clean which makes it the messiest.
- Favourite physical activity:
- Kickboxing. I just love everything about it.
- Your last meal would be:
- Wow… what a hard question… I’ve never thought about it…
- What makes you unique?:
- Ha! Where to start?!?!? I say whatever I’m thinking most of the time (including perverted comments). I only filter what I say at work or in front of religious people.
I figured this would also be a great way for you guys to get to know me better. There’s plenty of random information in this post. haha!
Have you ever heard of It works! Wraps? I didn’t until yesterday. I read about it on a fellow blog and was curious. I read about it, figured its another one of those fad weight loss/diet/beauty-product schemes and didn’t think anything else about it. Then today I saw a friend on Facebook tried the wrap (showed her own before and after picture) and how it worked for her. She has even become a distributor and is having a debut party. I have looked into it a little more and it really seems to make sense. I am very tempted to try it and see what I think but money is tight and it costs $25 for one wrap. While that really isn’t that much, it is more than I would like to spend on something I am unsure of. I would also have to convince Hubby of why I’m spending $25 on one wrap (when he’d rather use the money for a video game). This is what my friend said about the wraps…
“its a wrap with botanically-based formula on it, that you wrap around your body, then wrap with cling wrap. It tightens, tones and firms the area wrapped.”
There are claims of the wrap tightening and toning the skin around the problem area as well as losing inches. It also claims to shrink fat cells by cleansing them with the botanical ingredients and flushing them by drinking at least half your body weight in ounces each day for 72 hours.
I will still be eating healthy and exercising. I don’t plan to use the wrap to replace my healthy lifestyle rather to complement it. Why not try the wrap and help me on my journey? Like I said, I’m torn about whether or not to try it. I’d love to hear your opinions of the It works! Wraps and any personal experiences/stories about it. Do you guys think I should try it?
Here are some related articles. Read them and tell me what you think 🙂
All About Those Crazy Wraps
ItWorks Body Wrap Scam