We have talked about the sexual benefits of exercising and eating healthy. Now I want to talk about the act itself. No, not like that! I’m talking about how having sex is good for your health. Its a two-way street with benefits on both sides. Living a healthy lifestyle is great for your sex life and having sex is great for your health. It’s a win-win! We all know how exciting and fun sex can be but did you know it is also good for your health. I’ll tell you some of the awesome benefits of doing the vertical tango with your partner.
- Burn calories
- That’s right! Don’t forget sex is also an exercise. Granted, it’s a very fun and very erotic exercise but it is still exercise. According to this article, sex burns between 75 to 150 calories per half an hour. What better incentive do you need to burn some extra calories? This is also a great tip to remember after you were too busy to go to the gym or you skipped a workout. All you have to do is grab your partner and hit the sheets to burn a few calories (I’m not saying replace all workouts with sex but its better than not working out at all).
- Lowers stress and improves mental health
- Sex creates intimacy for couples in commited relationships. This lowers stress, reduces anxiety and fights depression. Lowering stress levels lowers a person’s cortisol level as well. Reducing a person’s cortisol level helps reduces the chances of having hyperglycemia and lowers blood pressure. According to this article, a study showed diastolic blood pressure was lower in people who live together and have sex often. Talk about health benefits!
- Helps you fall asleep
- Anyone who has had sex knows how relaxed you can feel afterward and how much easier it is to fall asleep. What you might not know is a hormone that promotes sleep called oxytocin is released during sex. This makes you more likely to sleep better than if you didn’t have fun between the sheets before bed. Don’t forget all the health benefits of a solid, restful night’s sleep.
- Boost Immunity
- You better believe it! According to this article (as well as a few others), a study conducted at Wilkes University in Pennsylvania showed people who have sex once or twice a week show 30 percent higher levels of an antibody called immunoglobulin A (IgA). These antibodies help keep the body safe from colds and the flu as well as combating diseases. I absolutely love this quote from the article, “Save up your sick days and use them as sex days!” Sounds like a sexy plan to me!
These are just a few benefits sex has on your health. If you would like to read more, visit the related articles linked below. I don’t need a reason to enjoy some alone time with my husband but if I did, these would be some convincing reasons to wake the neighbors. If you haven’t read the rest of my series follow the links below. 🙂
Sexual Benefits of a Healthy Lifestyle Series
- Sexual Benefits of a Healthy Lifestyle Part 1: The Series Explained
- Sexual Benefits of a Healthy Lifestyle Part 2: Exercise
- Sexual Benefits of a Healthy Lifestyle Part 3: Eating Healthy
- Sexual Benefits of a Healthy Lifestyle Part 4: Health Benefits of Sex